It supports AMR, MPC, OFR, DIVX, MKA, APE, FLAC, EVO, FLV, M4B, MKV, OGG, OGV, OGM, RMVB and XVID formats, which can be loaded into Windows Media Player seamlessly.
The program is quite simple to install, and novice users don’t have to configure any settings to benefit from this codec pack.
The configuration panel is based on a single window with all the main options organized into multiple tabs, and it caters to experienced users. You can set Windows Media Player to 32-bit or 64-bit mode, disable Icaros Explorer properties and LAV splitter, change subtitle parameters, as well as enable MC Sharpen and the default renderer (EVR).
It is possible to select the audio bitstreaming mode, use LAV splitter instead of Microsoft’s Splitter for AVI playback, switch from Microsoft codec to LAV codec for H264 in DirectShow Players, and more. The codec list can be saved to the desktop for further scrutiny. You may analyze or render a media file, test a file’s integrity (CRC32), as well as rebuild the Windows Media Player library.
This small utility seamlessly integrates into Windows 7 and 8. We have not come across any issues throughout our evaluation, as the codec pack did not cause the OS to hang, crash or display error notifications. When it comes down to it, Standard Codecs for Windows 7 and 8 is a necessary addition to any user who plays media files.
Standard Codecs for Windows 7 and 8 will offer you the possibility to view your preferred movies without needing to download separate codecs for each format.
The following filetypes are enabled and SUPPORTED by the installation of the Windows 8 Codecs:
amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid
All of the above filetypes can be queued to the Windows Media Player Playlist using a right-click.
- Full color thumbnails including FLV’s and 10bit MKV’s (also allows users to select at what point by percentage to grab the thumbnail)
- Enable the Preview Pane for ALL newly enabled filetypes such as MKV and FLV.
- Explorer properties are displayed for non native filetypes such as MKV and FLV
- Updated often – and has update notification builtin
- Allow use of the PDVD12 decoders for 32bit LiveTV
- Supports the use of Xbox360 as Extenders to playback MKV files
- Allows singleclick setup of Bitstreamed Audio
- Support playback of MOD audio files and M4A files containing ALAC
- Supports playlist creation for use in Media Center
- Allow users to Enable/Disable codecs installed on their system
- Funtionality such as Win7DSFilterTweaker builtin.
- Support ‘Add to Windows Media Player List’ using rightclick on all files such as MKV.