Portable Zim is a software tool built in Gtk2-Perls whose purpose is to provide you with a simple means of creating, editing and managing text files in collaboration with others.
The upper hand of portable apps
This is the portable version of Zim and thus, the installation process can be easily skipped. As a result, the Windows registry and Start screen/menu are not going to be affected in any way, and no traces will remain on the hard drive after its removal.
By moving the program files to an external data device (e.g. SD card, USB flash drive etc.), you make it possible to run Portable Zim on any machine you can get your hands on.
Options to tweak
This software utility enables you to import information from a TXT format, while export is possible using HTML, LaTeX and TXT files. Aside from that, you can view and change notebook properties (interwiki keyword, home page, icon, name, profile etc.), send e-mails with your work using the default client, open them in the web browser or send them to the printer.
A calendar is integrated and it is possible to insert images, bullet or numbered lists, symbols, links to specified directories and attachments. You can view the total number lines, words and characters, change text formatting or clear it, use a search function and create templates.
All in all, Portable Zim is an efficient piece of software, when it comes to text editing. It has a good response time, comprehensive Help contents are provided and enough option to keep you busy for quite a while.
Zim brings the concept of a wiki to your desktop. Store information, link pages and edit with WYSISYG markup. Creating a new page is as easy as linking to a non-existing page. Pages are stored in a folder structure, like in an outliner, and can have attachments.
This tool can be used to keep track of TODO lists or ideas, to take notes during a meeting or to draft any other kind of text (blog entries, important mails, etc.).
Zim handles several types of markup, like headings, bullet lists and of course bold, italic and highlighted. This markup is saved as wiki text so you can easily edit it with other editors. Because of the autosave feature you can switch between pages and follow links while editing without worries.
Portable Zim is a useful and reliable text editor used to maintain and organize a collection of Wiki pages.
NOTE: You can also download the installer version, Zim.
- Full refactoring of code for parsing and processing wiki syntax making parser easier to extend and document interface more scalable
- Full refactoring of code for plugin framework making plugins more flexible by defining decorators for specific application objects
- Full refactoring of code for exporting pages from zim
- Now supports MHTML export format
- Supports exporting multiple pages to a single file
- Supports recursive export of a page and all it’s sub-pages
- Templates now support many more instructions and expressions
- Full refactoring of the code for parsing commandline commands and initializing the application
- New config manager code to make parsing and handling of config files more robust
- Merged new plugin for editing sequence diagrams by Greg Warner
- Improved the ToC plugin with floating widget
- Fixed unicode issue when calling external applications, and in particular for the hg and git commands
- Fixed support for unicode CamelCase word detection
- Fixed bug on windows with unicode user n…