ERD Concepts is a comprehensive software application wrapped in a professional-looking environment designed for creating and designing database layouts with rich details. It includes some advanced features and configuration preferences that should meet the requirements of experienced users.
Quick setup and user-friendly interface
The whole installation procedure takes minimal time and effort. As far as the interface is concerned, ERD Concepts opts for a large window with an approachable structure, where you can get started by selecting a new database model. Multiple tabs are supported, so you can juggle multiple projects at the same time.
Intuitive tools to create the database layout and to edit object properties
Several accessible tools allow you to easily put together database layouts by dropping elements in the drawing sheet and moving them around with the mouse. You can add tables and views, relationships, notes, group boxes and routine groups, as well as insert images from external sources, along with shapes, Bezier lines and stamps with info (title, page, author, copyright, database, date of modification).
The properties of each database object can be easily edited by just double-clicking it. For instance, you can define table details (e.g. name, schema, columns, keys), check constraints, manage storage scripts, add triggers and comments, while Bezier lines can be adjusted when it comes to the line color, width, arrow at start or end, and curves.
Generate reports and databases, convert data types, and other tools
The project can be saved to file and later resumed, exported to an image or CSV file, as well as printed. ERD Concepts also lets you capture the screen, align objects in the database layout, use a search function, manage preset styles, set bookmarks, check information for any SQL errors, generate an HTML report with the database code, use a query designer, and switch the schema.
It is also possible to execute SQL statements, compare the current file with another one, generate a database with a user-defined script and rules, rename objects, convert data types, edit the schema and translation, manage templates, as well as create a Microsoft Access database.
Evaluation and conclusion
We have not come across any stability issues throughout our evaluation, since ERD Concepts did not hang, crash or pop up error messages. It runs on low CPU and RAM, so its impact on PC performance is minimal. Thanks to its wide range of features and useful tools, this tool proves to be quite handy for putting together database layouts.
ERD Concepts is a simple to use tool that enables you to design and create a detailed database layout.
It is a WYSIWYG design environment that allows you to create a professional and visual attractive Entity Relationship Diagram with domains, tables, foreign keys, views, stored procedures and more.
Design and live database access in a consistent user interface with advanced drag and drop functionality. Your base ERD design is alternatively used to generate DDL (data definition language) scripts to create the actual database.
You can connect to almost any database through ADO/ODBC. ERD Concepts will reverse engineer an already existing database and translates it afterwards to your own preferred database environment.
Live database access support through the Execute SQL feature to maintain or query your database, with code history support.
- Professional diagramming:
- ERD Concepts is an ERD tool combining professional diagramming with a light and pleasant user-interface. We carefully studied the packages of other ERD software vendors before creating ERD Concepts and where always astound of the large number of options, switches, rules and other functionality stacked together in one piece of software. Making it almost impossible to learn on the fly without following expensive courses to master the software.
- Make your work as easy as possible:
- ERD Concepts stands out by it’s light user interface but providing all the necessary tools you need to create a professional and advanced ERD diagram. Following the standard windows GUI guidelines ERD Concepts contains a complete WYSIWYG design environment with many additional tools to make your work as easy as possible.
- Live database access:
- ERD Concepts combines ERD design with live database access to query or maintain an already developed database. You can query or manually alter your database while in the design environment. This is done with our powerful query tool: The “Execute SQL” feature. Execute SQL supports transactions and batch statement parsing and includes history support to keep track of already executed statements. Again with an easy to master user interface.