doPDF is a software tool that can convert any printable document to a PDF file, whether it’s a text file, image or other. It doesn’t have any advanced features, so it has been designed for a simple conversion process.
Tweaks during the installation process
You may opt for installing this application as an add-in for Microsoft Office or disable this option and work with the utility as a virtual printer.
How it works
Once installed, the small tool can be accessed by hitting the “Print” button in any program that can supports file printing. It has a simple interface with simple-to-use commands.
Several configuration settings to play with
In “Properties,” you can select page size as predefined (e.g. A4, Letter) or custom (by manually setting its height and width), choose the unit type (millimeters, inches, points), configure graphic details (resolution and scale) and set orientation (portrait, landscape).
Then you can set the output name and destination, select “Small file” or “High quality images” and optionally enable doPDF to always use the current output folder, open PDF in reader or embed fonts.
The program barely uses system resources, doesn’t seem to make any modifications on the Windows registry entries and we haven’t experienced any problems during our tests. It doesn’t come with any guidelines, but that’s because it is so simple to use, by both beginners and experts.
We strongly recommend doPDF for a simple conversion of any printable documents to standard PDF files. It can be easily installed and configured by all types of users, regardless of their experience level.
With doPDF you will have the possibility to easily convert files to searchable PDF documents from any Windows application.
It installs as a printer driver and helps you generate the PDF files by simply selecting the “print” command from any application (you can convert your Word documents, Excel sheets, PowerPoint presentations, AutoCad drawings, company’s reports, contracts, workflows, agreements, marketing plans, forms, products list, price list, charts, emails or web pages).
The resulted PDF files can be viewed on any computer with a PDF viewer (reader) installed.
- Modify the paper size, modify the resolution (from 72 to 2400 dpi)
- Change page orientation (portrait, landscape)
- Change the quality settings
- The user interface supports localization, thus using doPDF in your own language (currently English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Czech, Korean, Dutch, Japanese, Polish, Swedish, Portuguese, Brazilian, Serbian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Chinese Simplified, Russian, Greek and Hungarian are supported).
- 10MB of free disk space
- Spooler dependent services are stopped during installation to prevent errors
- Removed several unnecessary start/stop actions for the print spooler
- Support option is offered when installation fails
- Small fixes for conversions from Excel and Visio